Many funding agencies, both federal and foundations, have policies and requirements for data management or data sharing plans submitted along with proposals. See the list below for these requirements. If you would like help to develop a plan for data management or sharing, contact us.
A data management plan generally describes the data to be generated or used and how you will manage it throughout the project and afterwards to ensure it is available. DMP included in funding agency proposals are generally brief and include broad summaries, while functional DMP tend to be longer and include greater detail about personnel roles and responsibilities, data storage, quality assurance and control, archiving, and sharing. A good data sharing plan describes what data will be shared, how it will be accessed, the permissions and rights for users, and guidelines for attribution (e.g., data citation).
- National Science Foundation
- All proposals must include a Data Management Plan (2-page maximum)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Applies to proposals seeking $500,000 or more in direct costs in any year of the proposed project period through grants, cooperative agreements, or contracts.
- NIH Genomic Data Sharing
- The Genomic Data Sharing (GDS) policy applies to all NIH-funded research (e.g., grants, contracts, and intramural research) that generates large-scale human or non-human genomic data, regardless of the funding level, as well as the use of these data for subsequent research.
- See a full list maintained by DMPTool.
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- Proposers who will generate ìinformation productsî (i.e., more than a simple, traditional journal article) are required to submit a brief one to two page appendix explaining how they plan to manage and disseminate such materials in accordance with the principles above.(See the Information Products Appendix)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation requires that data underlying the published research results be made immediately accessible and open.
- Wellcome Trust
- Wellcome Trust expects that all our funded researchers should maximise access to their research data with as few restrictions as possible.
- Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation
- As part of the grant development process, the foundation may ask prospective grantees to develop a Data Sharing and/or Intellectual Property Plan.
Contact us for customized DMP or for advice dealing with complex data management issues.